Tips bij het indienen van Amerikaanse belastingdienst

3 min
Gepubliceerd op: 25-02-2016

1. Americans Overseas receive an automatic filing extension until juni 15
U.S. taxpayers living outside the US receive an automatic filing extension until juni 15 to file as opposed  to april 15 for U.S. citizens living in the U.S. The FBAR deadline is 30th June (without further extensions!).

2. Reduce or eliminate U.S. taxes with the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion
In 2015, you may be able to exclude up to $100,800 of foreign earned income from U.S. taxation with the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)! This is the most common way to reduce or eliminate your U.S. tax liability. You might also be able to exclude certain housing expenses, such as rent and utilities, using the Foreign Housing Exclusion.

If you live in a high-tax country or your income exceeds the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE), the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) may help you offset or eliminate your US tax liability. The FTC is a dollar-for-dollar credit on the taxes you pay to a foreign country.

3. Including non-US children on your U.S. tax return has long-term implications
Children born to a non-U.S. parent overseas can be reported on your Tax Return as a dependent. While the Child Tax Credit(s) you’ll receive can be financially advantageous, remember that they are now considered U.S. persons and will forever have a U.S. tax obligation unless they choose to renounce their citizenship once they are an adult. They will also need a Social Security Number to file.

4. Government benefits may be taxable in the U.S.
Most benefits are taxed but there are exceptions. Example of benefits can be: Child support, welfare, and government pension. Always report them to your tax preparer so they can check whether or not it’s taxable.

5. Rental income must be reported on your US tax return
You must report all rental income (foreign and domestic) to the IRS, but many expenses related to the property can be offset against this income and so reducing your potential tax liability. The U.S. also allows depreciation as a write off (taking over a life term of 40 years). This means you can deduct an amount every year from your rental income. However, when you sell the property the U.S. will tax you over any gain. Make sure to be well informed on all specifics. Local and US tax law on real estate often differ.

6. Applying Tax Treaties
The United States has income tax treaties with a number of foreign countries. These Treaty provisions generally are reciprocal (apply to both treaty countries). Therefore, a U.S. citizen or resident who receives income from a treaty country and who is subject to taxes imposed by foreign countries may be entitled to certain credits, deductions, exemptions, and reductions in the rate of taxes of those foreign countries. Therefore, please check the applicable Treaty between the U.S. and your country of residence to avoid paying double tax!

7. Affordable Care Act (“ObamaCare”)
U.S. citizens living abroad are subject to the individual shared responsibility provision. However, U.S. citizens who are not physically present in the United States for at least 330 full days within a 12-month period are treated as having minimum essential coverage for that 12-month period regardless of whether they enroll in any health care coverage.

In addition, U.S. citizens who are bona fide residents of a foreign country (or countries) for an entire taxable year are treated as having minimum essential coverage for that year. In general, these individuals qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.

Individuals that qualify for this rule need take no further action to comply with the individual shared responsibility provision during the months when they qualify. They will report their status with their federal income tax return on Form 8965.

8. Converting amounts to dollars
If you have elected to report in dollars you (or your preparer) needs to convert your amounts on your return and FBAR. You can find the official year average exchange rates for income tax purposes hier, The end of year exchange rates used for the FBAR can be found hier.

Disclaimer: The advice offered in this article is intended for informational purposes only. Use of this column is not intended to replace or substitute for professional advice. No action should be taken based on this information without seeking proper professional advice. This website. company, publisher and its author are not responsible nor liable for the outcome or results of following any of the above advice and/or links to advice in any given situation.

Neem nu contact op voor meer informatie



Meld je aan voor de nieuwsbrief om op de hoogte te blijven.

Blijf op de hoogte van alle informatie die je als US Person nodig hebt.

"*" geeft vereiste velden aan