I got a FATCA letter from the bank, now what?

3 min
Published on: 25-02-2016 Last modified on: 23-04-2024

FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act), requires all foreign financial institutions (banks, insurers, investment brokers, etc) to report to the IRS information on financial accounts held by US citizens, those with dual citizenship, or foreign entities in which US taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest. This means that your bank will inform the IRS about your financial assets and interests.

So, if you are one of the 8 million U.S. expats subject to the FATCA, what do you do if you receive one of these letters?

FATCA letter bank

It is important NOT to ignore the letter. The letter may arrive with a Form W-9 or W-8, depending on the bank. Some banks send the form to further confirm whether a customer is a US taxpayer and subject to FATCA. U.S. Taxpayers residing Overseas should complete all forms and send them back to the bank within the time limit.  The banks will state the time limit for completion.

So if you are a U.S. person there are three scenarios:

What happens if I don’t send back the letter

The bank will share your information with the IRS. Depending on which country you live in and the bank you use; your account might be changed or closed. This applies mostly to bank accounts used for stock investments. However, some banks have decided they don’t want US customers at all. We recommend to contact your bank and ask about their policy before you send in the form. This gives you time to move your account if necessary.

What happens if I do send back the letter

The same as above actually applies: the bank will share your information and it might affect your status as a client.

What happens if I do send back the letter stating I’m not a US person:

Many U.S. persons deem the law unreasonable. They were born in the U.S. and left when they were small or got citizenship through their parents. Although these individuals don’t feel American for tax purposes, they are unfortunately. Stating incorrectly that you are not a US person might lead to grave penalties. The IRS cancels out any amnesty program if they come to you instead of the other way around; furthermore, before accepting your statement, the bank might ask you to prove you’re not a U.S. person by showing a ‘certificate of loss of nationality’ or providing other proof that you were never a U.S .person to begin with.

I sent the letter in but I never filed US taxes, what now?

The US has an amnesty procedure called ‘Streamlined Foreign Offshore procedure’ which allows taxpayers who are considered a U.S. person to file without any penalty if they were not aware of their obligation. This procedure also applies if you filed in the past while living in the US, moved to another country, and never realized you had to continue filing.

I sent the letter back to the bank and always filed my US taxes, what now?

Nothing really changes when you send the letter back to your bank. We recommend getting in touch with your bank to ensure they will not change your account status.

Contact us for more information


Disclaimer: The advice offered in this article is intended for informational purposes only. Use of this column is not intended to replace or substitute for professional advice. No action should be taken based on this information without seeking proper professional advice. This website. company, publisher, and its author are not responsible nor liable for the outcome or results of following any of the above advice and/or links to advice in any given situation.

Sign up for the newsletter to keep up to date.

Stay up-to-date with all information you need as an expat.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Frequently asked questions

Understanding the US tax system, the obligations, and all the additional terms can be difficult. Especially if one lives outside of America. Is your question not answered? Contact us.

Read more

View all news