Is my child considered a US person ?

< 1 min

A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA provided the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child’s birth.

Your child may be considered a US citizen if you meet the following requirements:

  • One of your parents was a US citizen when you were born.
  • The parent who is a US citizen has lived at least five years in the US before you were born.
  • The parent who is a U.S. citizen must have lived in the US for at least two of those five years following his/her fourteenth birthday.

Contact us for more information