When is US person liable for tax

When are you considered a US Person (and taxable)?

You can be considered a US person for tax purposes by many different ways. In short:

– US Citizen: Born in the United States or if the individual has been naturalized as a US citizen.

– US Citizen: Born outside the United States if one or both of your parents are US citizens.
– Substantial presence test: Based on the nr days you are in the US over a three year period.
– The ‘green card’ test:  You’ve been granted the right to lawful permanent residence in the US. If you have left the US but still have an active Green card you might need to file.