We help Americans living in Europe to file US taxes and prevent double taxation. Based on your situation we introduce you to a US tax advisor. Free of charge and free of any obligations.

I don’t make (a lot of) money; do I still need to report to the USA?

Yes. Even if you have no earnings, it does not always dismiss you from filing taxes in the US; it will most likely result in you not paying any tax.

Basically, you have to file an IRS Form 1040 for the previous year if your income was above a certain threshold. These thresholds are the same as for US residents.  For tax year 2016 (filing in 2017) the thresholds (total yearly income) are:

Status Under 65 65 or older
You are single (unmarried) $10,350 $11,900
You are married filing jointly $20,700 $21,950
You are married filing separately $4,050 $4,050
You are filing as “Head of household” $13,350 $14,900
You are a widow or widower with dependent child $16,650 $17,900

Important note: Certain government subsidies such as child benefits, unemployment benefits, and subsidies are regarded by the US as reportable income that might make you reach the filing threshold.

Do you have questions or need help? Please feel free to contact us. Free of charge and free of any obligation.