I don’t make (a lot of) money; do I still need to report to the USA?

2 min

Yes. Even if you have no earnings, it does not always dismiss you from filing taxes in the US; it will most likely result in you not paying any tax.

Basically, you have to file an IRS Form 1040 for the previous year if your income was above a certain threshold. These thresholds are the same as for US residents.  For tax year 2023 (filing in 2024) the thresholds – total yearly income thresholds are:

Status Under 65 65 or older
You are single (unmarried) $13,850 $15,700
You are married filing jointly $27,700 $29,200
You are married filing separately $5 $5
You are filing as “Head of household” $20,800 $22,650
You are a widow or widower with dependent child $27,700 $29,200


For tax year 2022 thresholds: please see the IRS Website.



  • Are you married and are you filing a joint tax return, but you no longer live(d) at the same address at the end of tax year 2023 (or on the date your spouse died)? Then, a threshold of $ 5 applies.
  • Are you married and filing a joint tax return, and is one of the partners age 65 or older? Then the declaration threshold is $29,200. Are you both 65 years or older? Then the declaration threshold is $30,700.

Self-employed: If your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more, you must file a return even if your gross income is below the amount listed for your filing status in the table shown above.

Important note: Certain government subsidies such as child benefits, unemployment benefits, and subsidies are regarded by the US as reportable income that might make you reach the filing threshold.

Contact us for more information