What are the following steps after my down payment has been received?
- After receiving the down payment, we will send you an email with your login details for your personal online “My Americans Overseas” portal. After creating your password, you can log in using the “Log in” button at the top right of the website menu.
- There is a Tax Organizer and a Manual available for you in the portal. In the Tax organizer you can enter all the data required for the tax return. You can upload the required documents in the portal.
- We recommend that you provide all documents as soon as possible because of turn around times. As the year progresses the waiting times will increase. (If you already renounced your US citizenship and informed us of that, you will receive an additional Exit Year Organizer for that year so that we can collect the information for your final filing, including Form 8854).
- As usual, the return will be offered to you as a draft for you to check. After approval and payment of the invoice, we will send you the final return.
What is the price of an annual filing?
You can click this link to see the rates that Americans Overseas charges for the tax return for 2020 and 2021. We are happy that, despite the changed requirements, we were able to keep almost all prices the same as last year.
Is your situation completely different than last year? For example, have you started a BV, sold property or have a trust fund? Let me know and I will be happy to take a look at a quotation together with you.
Why am I not getting a personal quote?
We have a very large number of returns that have to be processed in a short time, together with the request for information about voluntary disclosures by US Persons. In addition, we would like to offer the services as competitively as possible and we have opted for this approach that is common for American tax return practices. If you have any questions, we will of course be happy to help.
I gave up my citizenship in 2020 (or 2021), making 2020 (or 2021) the last year that I need to file with the IRS. What do I have to take into account?
In addition to your normal US return, (for the part of the year you were still a US citizen), an extra Return must be submitted, inlcuding Form 8854 (for the part of the year you were no longer a US citizen). With Form 8854 you conclude, as it were, your obligation to declare. The tax expert will prepare this for you after we have requested the necessary information from you, using our Exit Year organizer.
When do I have to submit all my documents for the Streamlined Procedure (up to and including 2020) at Americans Overseas? And what if that doesn’t work for me?
We would like to receive your files in October, so that we can complete your Streamlined Procedure around February and you have enough time for the 2021 annual return (which must also be submitted before June 15th, 2022, following the Streamlined Procedure). If you cannot manage that, but you have completely uploaded all your information before January 31st, 2022, then it should not be a problem to process and submit your Streamlined Procedure on time. If you submit your information before February 28th, 2022, we will do our very best to prepare your tax return on time so you can file it before the IRS deadline of June 15th, 2022.
Are you really unable to deliver the documents before February 28th, 2022? Please contact us in time so that we can find a solution together with you.
I am still working on my Streamlined Procedure up to and including tax year 2020. Do I now also have to start my annual Tax Return of 2021?
The Streamlined Procedure can only be filed with already expired tax years. For the Streamlined procedure, tax year 2020 will expire as of June 15th, 2021. So if you do a Streamline Procedure up to and including 2020, you must submit it between June 16th, 2021 and June 15th, 2022. From that moment on you are considered to be “Compliant” and you must also annually submit a regular tax return, starting with the year 2021. But the deadline for the regular annual tax return 2021 is also June 15th, 2022, and the annual tax return can only be submitted after you have submitted your Streamlined Procedure.
However, if your Streamlined Procedure is submitted just before the deadline of June 15th, 2022, we can always request an extension for your 2021 annual tax return until October 15th, 2022.
You must meet the following conditions for this:
- We have received your down payment for the annual return 2021 before June 7th, 2022;
- Your SSN details are entered under the heading “US Person” (and your address is entered at the bottom) of the “My Contact Details” page of your online account with us.
- Your Streamlined Procedure was submitted before June 15th, 2022.
When do I have to hand in all my documents at the latest for the 2021 annual tax return to Americans Overseas?
If all your information has been fully uploaded before May 1st, 2022, we will do our utmost to deliver your tax return on time for you to file it before the deadline of June 15th, 2022. If you cannot meet this deadline, we will request an extension for you with the IRS until October 15th, 2022. We would appreciate to receive a request for this from you on time, so that we can schedule the extension request for you.